Friday 6 December 2013

Will Crop Tops Ever Become a Trend In Nigeria?


Each time I pick up one of these top fashion mags in Nigeria to read, I am appalled when I read fashion write ups ranting about the 'crop top' as an emerging fashion trend in Nigeria. The magazines talk about the summer and how the crop top is the perfect outfit to remain stylish and comfortable for the season.  It's understandable, that we are going global and so is our fashion drive but the crop top becoming a trend??? That's pushing overboard, in my opinion.

First and foremost, it will be important to note that this post isn't coming from a religious angle, so don't get me wrong, infact, I sometimes admire crop tops on celebs who rock it for concert performances.

The crop top is one fashion trend that will probably never trend on our streets in Nigeria. It may be feasible amongst those with  rides to attend events and all they have to do is to get into their teensy weensy piece, step into their posh rides, drive down, alight at the venue and go enjoy the event or
show. But I speak from the streets- now tell me how possible it is to wade through the ever busy Yaba/Oshodi market with a crop top on.

Fashion is fun but what people tend to forget when they try to shove this hideous trend down our throats, is that what is regarded as fashionable is relative to time and location. In other words, irrespective of the amount you spend on those Salvatore Ferragamo snow boots or how popular it might be in Europe, it doesn't mean it would make you fashionable in Nigeria when you wear it in the rainy season(notice is didnt say winter) and you will still be regarded as odd even in Europe if you rock those sexy boots during the summer with your pair of pencil jeans.

Again, yes we copy, I admit! But unfortunately, a lot of the unfortunate readers of those kind of magazines, just follow the advice dogmatically, heedless of their physical attributes and then the result gotten is an unsightly exposure of protruding belly. I see a lot of our celebs these days wear crop tops for events, and I can't help but feel sorry for them for the whole lot of stress they go through in an attempt to suck their stomach in, that they may look firm and hot and the whole uncomfortable feeling is veiled behind an obviously phoney smile.

So given the above, I earnestly hope that fashion stylist, bloggers, columnist etc will cease to try to make 'crop-tops' happen, cause it won't!

Feel free to differ with me on this.
XOXO Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment